About Abwiz Bio & Our Recombinant Antibody Production
We provide researchers worldwide with top-quality monoclonal antibodies
through novel immunization and unique cloning methods using phage display technology.
We will produce antibodies and develop technologies with creative minds to contribute to basic and applied research, diagnostics, and therapeutics for the betterment of healthcare.
Scientists at Abwiz Bio are experts in the field of antibody discovery, phage display technology, and recombinant antibody production.
Libraries at Abwiz Bio are made using our state-of-the-art cloning method to maintain maximum
diversity from the immune source, WizAmpTM (US 9,890,414), and the best antibodies are selected through various strategies for affinity and specificity.
Abwiz Bio is specialized in the discovery of monoclonal antibodies with tailored specificities and affinities.
We not only make our own antibodies, but also seek to collaborate with academia and pharma to speed up the development of useful antibodies and minimize the cost on both ends.
Founder and COO/CSO
Toshi Maruyama is the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Chief Scientific Officer (CSO).
As COO/CSO, he is responsible for research, development, and manufacture of products.
Prior to founding Abwiz Bio, he acquired his skills in phage display in the lab of Dennis Burton at The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA and has held several senior scientist and management roles at Alexion Antibody Technologies, Calmune, and Nitto Denko Technical, USA.
He has over 25 years of antibody development experience in academia and pharma. Toshi obtained his MD and PhD degree at Tokyo Medical and Dental University.
- Kawade R, Akiba H, Entzminger K, Maruyama T, Okumura CJ, Tsumoto K: Roles of the disulfide bond between the variable and the constant domains of rabbit immunoglobulin kappa chains in thermal stability and affinity. Protein Eng Des Sel 2018; 31: 243-247.
- Shimizu H, Nakagawa M, Todaka N, Imaizumi K, Kurosawa Y, Maruyama T, Okumura CJ, Shibata T, Tanaka Y, Sato Y, Ono Y, Akuta T: Improving the quality of a recombinant rabbit monoclonal antibody against PLXDC2 by optimizing transient expression conditions and purification method. Protein Expr Purif 2018; 146: 27-33.
- Arakawa T, Kurosawa Y, Storms M, Maruyama T, Okumura CJ, Maluf NK: Biophysical characterization of a model antibody drug conjugate. Drug Discov Ther. 2016; 10: 211-7.
- Arakawa T, Kurosawa Y, Storms M, Maruyama T, Okumura CJ, Kita Y: Capto MMC mixed-mode chromatography of murine and rabbit antibodies. Protein Expr Purif. 2016; 127: 105-110.
- Hunt AR, Bowen RA, Frederickson S, Maruyama T, Roehrig JT, Blair CD: Treatment of mice with human monoclonal antibody 24h after lethal aerosol challenge with virulent Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus prevents disease but not infection. Virology 2011; 414: 146-52.
- Hunt AR, Frederickson S, Maruyama T, Roehrig JT, Blair CD: The First Human Epitope Map of the Alphaviral E1 and E2 Proteins Reveals a New E2 Epitope with Significant Virus Neutralizing Activity. PLo S Negl Trop Dis 2010; 4:e739.
- Nelson JD, Kinkead H, Brunel FM, Leaman D, Jensen R, Louis JM, Maruyama T, Bewley CA, Bowdish K, Clore GM, Dawson PE, Frederickson S, Mage RG, Richman DD, Burton DR, Zwick MB: Antibody elicited against the gp41 N-heptad repeat (NHR) coiled-coil can neutralize HIV-1 with modest potency but non-neutralizing antibodies also bind to NHR mimetics. Virology 2008; 377: 170-83.
- Siva AC, Wild MA, Kirkland RE, Nolan MJ, Lin B, Maruyama T, Yantiri-Wernimont F, Frederickson S, Bowdish KS, Xin H: Targeting CUB domain-containing protein 1 with a monoclonal antibody inhibits metastasis in a prostate cancer model. Cancer Res 2008; 68: 3579-66.
- Law M, Maruyama T, Lewis J, Giang E, Tarr AW, Stamataki Z, Gastaminza P, Chisari FV, Jones IM, Fox RI, Ball JK, McKeating JA, Knetemena NM, Burton DR: Broadly neutralizing antibodies protect against hepatitis C virus quasispecies challenge. Nature Med 2008; 4: 25-7.
- Siva AC, Kirkland RE, Lin B, Maruyama T, McWhirter J, Yantiri-Wernimont F, Bowdish KS, Xin H: Selection of anti-cancer antibodies from combinatorial libraries by whole-cell panning and stringent subtraction with human blood cells. J Immunol Methods 2007; 330: 109-19.
- Kretz-Rommel A, Qin F, Dakappagari N, Ravey EP, McWhirter J, Oltean D, Frederickson S, Maruyama T, Wild MA, Nolan M-J, Wu Dayang, Springhorn J, Bowdish KS: CD200 expression on tumor cells suppresses anti-tumor immunity: New approaches to cancer immunotherapy. J Immunol 2007; 178: 5595-605.
- McWhirter JR, Kretz-Rommel A, Saven A, Maruyama T, Potter KN, Mockridge CI, Ravey EP, Qin F, Bowdish KS: Antibodies selected from combinatorial libraries block a tumor antigen that plays a key role in immunomodulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2006; 103: 1041-46.
- Dakappagari N, Maruyama T, Renshaw M, Tacken P, Figdor C, Torensma R, Wild MA, Wu D, Bowdish K, Kretz-Rommel A: Internalizing Antibodies to the C-Type Lectins, L-SIGN and DC- SIGN, Inhibit Viral Glycoprotein Binding and Deliver Antigen to Human Dendritic Cells for the Induction of T cell Responses. J Immunol 2006: 176: 426-40.
- Lindenbach BD, Evans MJ, Syder AJ, Wolk B, Tellinghuisen TL, Liu CC, Maruyama T, Hynes RO, Burton DR, McKeating JA, Rice CM: Complete replication of hepatitis C virus in cell culture. Science 2005; 309: 623-6.
- Wild MA, Xin H, Maruyama T, Nolan MJ, Calveley PM, Malone JD, Wallace MR, Bowdish KS: Human antibodies from immunized donors are protective against anthrax toxin in vivo. Nat Biotechnol 2003; 221: 1305-1306.
- Meissner F, Maruyama T, Frentsch M, Hessell AJ, Rodriguez LL, Geisbert TW, Jahrling PB, Burton DR, Parren PWHI: Detection of antibodies against the four subtypes of Ebola virus in sera from any species using a novel antibody-phage indicator assay. Virology 2002; 300: 236- 43.
- Parren PWHI, Geisbert TW, Maruyama T, Jahrling PB, Burton DR. Pre- and post exposure prophylaxis of Ebola virus infection in an animal model by passive transfer of a neutralizing human antibody. J Virol 2002; 76: 6408-12.
- Maruyama T, Rodriguez LL, Jahrling PB, Sanchez A, Khan AS, Nichol ST, Peters CJ, Parren PWHI, Burton DR: Ebola virus can be effectively neutralized by antibody produced in natural human infection. J Virol 1999; 73: 6024-6030.
- Maruyama T, Parren PWHI, Sanchez A, Rensink I, Rodriguez LL, Khan AS, Peters CJ, Burton DR: Recombinant human monoclonal antibodies to Ebola virus. J Infect Dis 1999; 179 (Suppl 1): S235-239.
- Maruyama T, Buchmeier MJ, Parren PWHI, Burton DR: Ebola Virus, Neutrophils, and Antibody Specificity. Science 1998; 282: 845a.
Founder and CEO
CJ Okumura is the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and is responsible for strategy and directing of the company.
Prior to founding Abwiz Bio, CJ held a senior business development leadership position in BioLegend. He was a post doctoral fellow at Nolan laboratory in Stanford University and Dr Hirohisa Saito laboratory in Riken Research Center for Allergy and Immunology. Expertise in Immunology, molecular biology and business development.
CJ holds MBA at UCSD, RADY School of management, DDS and PhD at Tokyo Dental College.